Goal Setting

So today I went into a 4th grade classroom to help guide students in the task of goal setting.  I must admit, I was pretty nervous because I am used to 6, 7 and some 8 year olds.  4th grade is a whole different world.  Living with an 11 and 13 year old is quite different than standing in front of a room full of 10 year olds teaching.  Yikes! 

As I over- explained to them the process of choosing a goal, I realized that these kids knew themselves really well.  They have had 10 years of people telling them what they need to improve on.  I didn't have to pull anything out of them at all.  They said things like "I sometimes take things too far and I want to fix that," or "I want to work on controlling my body more."  How insightful!  I just did not give them enough credit.  They were excited to get rolling with these goals and have purpose.  

There was one important piece I took away today:  kids are so very aware of what their downfalls are but sometimes struggle to come up with what they are great at.  I'm not talking about things like, "I am great at math" or "I am a good reader."  I am talking about things like "I can solve problems with my friends" or "I am kind to people."  What do they really know about the ways in which they are good little humans? I know I can give more feedback to my kids about who they are as people.  

Although I went into this experience nervous and lacking confidence I walked away feeling like I learned more than I really thought I would.  I learned so much from the kids in that class and how they responded.  I loved the experience and cannot wait to see where they go with their goals!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Clear Head, Clear Goals

Excitement!

Why Is Everyone Tweeting?