Clear Head, Clear Goals

For me, Christmas break is always a time to catch my breath and set goals for myself both personally and professionally.  This year is no different.  I was able to watch some of Matt Miller's Ditch Summit over break.  I felt like one speaker in particular  was speaking directly to me!  Kim Strobel is a happiness coach.  She has spent many years in education so she understands the perspective of teachers everywhere.  She has devoted her life to helping people add more happiness to their life.  I feel like I am a fairly happy person but it is so easy, especially in this profession, to get caught up in the things that are not within my control.  Those things can weigh me down, build up over time and soon take over HOW I spend my time.  I might spend my time mentally focused on some of these worries and less time focused on the here and now.  She spoke about being present in each moment- both physically and mentally.

One major takeaway I had from Kim was this idea of a gratitude journal.  Each day you write down 5 things you are grateful for.  She says that soon you start to scan your environment for the things you are thankful for.  This rewires your brain to look for the good things in your life.  Imagine how this could change your personal life and your school life!  It is so easy to focus on how things around you are impacting you negatively.  Many of those things we can't even control!   I fully believe this can shift my outlook to a more positive, healthy, balanced state.  During a long winter break, it is easy to have a positive, healthy outlook on life.  Once I am in the thick of things at school, when I am feeling passionate about a topic that others may not value- those are the times this gratitude journal may help me reset my thinking. 

I am excited to try this gratitude journal as the new year begins.  Stay tuned to find out how this goal takes shape in my classroom, at home and throughout my days.

To learn more from Kim Strobel, follow her on Twitter @strobeled or on her website at https://www.kimstrobel.com/blog/


Comments

  1. Just like all things Weldy- I LOVE IT! Especially the gratitude journal - I’m starting this habit today! Great job, Kelly! ..and thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Kelly...what a great blog! Impressive. I like the gratitude journal a lot!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for your positive feedback ladies!!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Excitement!

Why Is Everyone Tweeting?