Comparison



This quote right here.  This is the one that is on my mind.  Honestly, it is one that I have been passionate about for quite some time now but it seems to strike me more and more these days.

In Education, comparison seems to be prevalent in every classroom.  It's hard not to compare, right? We see what the teacher next door is doing and think, "Wow!  Look at what she is doing, I didn't even think of that."  I think that is a basic human reaction in life- comparison.  It can drive us to achieve more, do better, reach higher goals...or it can rob us of what we are already doing well and slowly steal our happiness.  It can control us more than we want it to.  Comparison is a tricky concept.

Maybe not everyone looks at what the teacher across the hall does and immediately compares herself.  Maybe the reaction is different.  Maybe it is one of inspiration and wanting to learn more.  In this situation, comparison can help us grow and find out so much more about who we are, who we want to be and take new risks we didn't even know we were willing to take.  

The scenarios I too often see, though, are that where teachers feel less because they did not think of that idea first, did not get the recognition the teacher next door did, did not produce the scores that teacher A had, or just did not shine as brightly as the teacher down the hall did.  It leaves some teachers feeling dejected, worthless, and simply not good enough.  I find myself falling into this trap even though I am conscious of it.  Comparison can cause me to question my purpose, my ability and even sometimes my intelligence.  Isn't that terrible?!  What is even more terrible, is that I know I'm not the only one that feels this way.  We don't see this overtly but upon talking with others, those feelings are present and they definitely have an impact on just about everything we do.

So how do we fix it?  How do we take control of this comparison beast?  I'm not a doctor, a psychologist or a happiness coach...I'm simply a 2nd grade teacher from Elkhart, Indiana who has some ideas about how, as teachers, we can help each other take control of this.
I think the first step is simply recognizing that comparison exists.  If we can see within ourselves that we are comparing to the teacher down the hall, the teacher across the street, or the teacher across the country then we can begin to do something about it.

We all have the ability to look within ourselves and find what is great about what we already do.  If it means making a physical list of things we do that are valuable and wonderful, so be it.  It's important for each of us to know what we do well, right?  In a world where we are constantly trying to improve, we tend to be hyper-focused on what we are NOT doing well.  Let's turn that around and focus on what makes you unique and wonderful already.  What makes your classroom a special place?  Focus on yourself and the places in your life that you can control.

We need to value ourselves.  We need to truly value each other outwardly.  I am guilty of not sharing with my co workers how much I appreciate what they do.  Maybe if I did that more often, it would help to promote an environment of sharing, learning and growing rather than comparing.

Finally, I think it's important to recognize that comparison will exist even if we try our hardest to avoid it.  It will be ever present.  It is a part of what humans do by nature.  But we can decide what to do with that comparison.  Will we use it to better ourselves or will we use it as a weapon against our own self worth?  It's a conscious decision that needs to be recognized and made within each moment.  We really are all in this together, as cliche as that sounds.  When we use these moments to learn from one another, join forces and grow there can be so many positive results:  for teachers, grade levels and most importantly students.

I will end with another quote.  I actually read this little quote on the underside of a Snapple lid a few years ago.  This just adds to my thinking for this blog post.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Clear Head, Clear Goals

Excitement!

Why Is Everyone Tweeting?