Why Is Everyone Tweeting?

For some time now, our district has really embraced Twitter.  Teachers are tweeting what is happening in their classrooms, coaches are tweeting inspirational quotes, and administrators are tweeting about what is happening in their buildings.  I must admit, before our superintendent arrived I was not much of a "tweeter."  I enjoyed reading a few things here and there from the Washington Post, the local weather station, and...the Pope.  😊  Soon, however, I came to enjoy that I could peek into a colleague's classroom with the touch of a button.  I love seeing what others are doing in their classrooms and I am constantly looking for fun, engaging ideas to do with my own students.  Suddenly, I could see what was happening at a neighboring elementary within the same grade level.  I found myself thinking, "I never thought to teach it like that before..." or "That's a really neat activity!"

I realized that this was the reason Twitter was talked about so much by administrators.  Twitter gives us a chance to briefly step into each other's classrooms, gather and share ideas.  Upon further use of Twitter, I soon realized there was even more.  What?!  Slowly, I started to follow various educators such as Matt Miller, Angela Gadtke, Dave Burgess.  These people are all connected to many other educators across the county.  Suddenly I am following a slew of people from around the world that I do not even know...but they have some really neat ideas!  Just last night I did a Seesaw Chat and ended up following 5-6 more teachers located anywhere from Chicago to New Zealand.  All of these people share their ideas, resources, and thinking!!!  It's so great!  I have just connected to all these people in a matter of seconds and I am gaining some invaluable resources from them.

I am grateful that I continued to tweet when I may have been apprehensive at first.  It has helped shaped my thinking about classrooms and what students need.  Having taught in the same school for 17 years, I am grateful that technology has offered me the opportunity to see how other first graders are learning across the country and world.  

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Clear Head, Clear Goals

Excitement!

Reflections and the First 3 Days